Dr. Harilaos Koumaras (NCSRD), 5GENESIS coordinator, presented the “5G system and Vertical Industries KPIs” with focus on Open5Genesis Suite at SEMANTIC project – School 1 virtual session: 5G architectures, enabling technologies, vertical industries and KPIs (16 Feb 2021).
The 5G PPP Initiative and the 5GIA present a new white paper entitled “Edge Computing for 5G Networks”. This white paper provides an in-depth analysis of Edge solutions that have been selected, deployed and validated by 17 different EU funded 5G PPP projects including 5GENESIS. You may access and read the paper online at https://5g-ppp.eu/white-paper-on-edge-computing-for-5g-networks/
5G Infrastructure PPP Phase 3 platforms projects (2018-2021) started in July 2018 and provide a pan-EU large-scale end-to-end 5G validation network infrastructure, covering about 20 EU sites and nodes on a pan-EU basis. This infrastructure will provide the adequate level of openness to make it possible for vertical industries to test their innovative 5G business cases using ad-hoc network resource control. More information available at https://5g-ppp.eu/5g-ppp-platforms-cartography/
Please consider submitting your demo paper at the IEEE MeditCom 2021 Demo session co-chaired by Dr. Harilaos Koumaras (NCSRD partner). Submissions should be a two-page proposal summary that follows the IEEE formatting guidelines: refer to the IEEE submission instructions for details. Be as specific as possible in describing what you will demonstrate or display as demo. Summaries of accepted demos will be included in the IEEE MeditCom 2021 Proceedings. Accepted and presented summaries will be submitted to IEEE Xplore®. You may find more information here: https://meditcom2021.ieee-meditcom.org/authors/call-for-demos/
IEEE MeditCom Special Session
Securing Future Networks
Background and Motivation
5G systems, and even more so future communication network technologies, bring a new rich set of features and capabilities, which, in addition to their technical and business value, are also accompanied with various side-effects, one of the most important of which is the drastic increase in the attack surface, compared to legacy network infrastructures. Some of these capabilities, which, under certain circumstances, may introduce new vulnerabilities and increase the probability of a security incident, are: software-defined infrastructures (emphasising vulnerabilities associated with softwarisation); slicing and multi-tenancy (resulting in threats related to violation of slices isolation); multi-actor service paradigms and infrastructure sharing (raising privacy and availability concerns); and complex and multi-tier architectures (introducing new threats at the control and management planes).
In addition, in 5G and future networks, not only the probability of a security incident increases, but also its expected impact and severity. The connection of more and more devices to the network, many of which track personal data, while others support critical operations (as in Intelligent Transport Systems/connected cars or e-health), implies that security incidents can lead to severe privacy breaches and in some special cases even life-threatening situations.
This situation calls for a more effective and efficient cybersecurity approach in future networks, not only addressing their new threats, but at the same time leveraging their unprecedented capabilities – such as service agility, dynamic network service deployment and edge processing- to introduce a new generation of security architectures and services.
Topics of interest
This special session aims at bringing together network and security engineers to discuss challenges associated to, but not limited to, the following topics:
- Trust and attestation for Virtual Network Functions (VNFs)
- SDN security
- Network slice isolation and security
- Security assessment of multi-tenant network infrastructures and neutral host deployments
- Security Information and Event Management (SIEM) evolution for future networks
- Virtualisation of security functions
- Big Data Analytics for incident detection and classification, Endpoint Detection and Reponse
- AI for cybersecurity at the edge
- Zero-trust architectures
- 5G Managed Security Services
- Integrity assurance for cyber-physical systems and embedded devices
- Endpoint Detection and Response
- Threat Intelligence sharing
- Security Orchestration, Automation and Reponse (SOAR)
- Standardization and Validation of cyber-security technologies and trust techniques
- Georgios Gardikis, Nikos Drosos, Space Hellas SA (email@example.com,firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Valerio Frascolla, Intel Deutschland GmbH (email@example.com )
- Thanassis Gianetsos, Ubitech Ltd (firstname.lastname@example.org )
- Diego Lopez, Telefónica I+D (email@example.com )
- Michail-Alexandros Kourtis, NCSR “Demokritos” (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Evangelos Markakis, Hellenic Mediterranean University (email@example.com)
- Sofoklis Efremidis, Gruppo Maggioli SpA (firstname.lastname@example.org )
- PANDORA (https://www.pandora-edidp.eu/ )
- PALANTIR (https://www.palantir-project.eu/ )
- 5GENESIS (https://5genesis.eu/ )
- ASSURED (https://www.project-assured.eu/ )
- INSPIRE5GPLUS (https://www.inspire-5gplus.eu/ )
- SPHINX (https://sphinx-project.eu/ ) CYRENE (https://www.cyrene.eu/ )
We invite you to submit novel, unpublished work relevant to the scope of the special session. Please refer to the author’s area in the conference website for submission guidelines and paper templates:
Call for Special Sessions
Please submit your paper using the EDAS platform:
selecting the “Securing Future Networks” session.
Paper submission deadline: EXTENDED
April 10th April 23rd May 21st, 2021
Acceptance notification: 21 June 2021
5G is here to enhance the communication systems and provide the sufficient technical background for a global transformation. Industries like automotive, media, manufacturing and others will be benefited by the deployment of 5G network. You may read more about the vertical use of 5G here: https://5g-ppp.eu/verticals/
The NetWorld2020 SME Working Group is pleased to inform you that a new update of the “Find the SME you need” web page is available. This new update shows the skills and expertise of 65 SMEs. It may be sorted by technological expertise or by vertical sectors. Four new SME success stories are also released at the same time, adding to the previous ones. The brochure entitled “European SME Expertise in 5G and Beyond” has also been updated. Do not hesitate to have a look and download it for further use.